Tuesday, December 25, 2007

MY AUTHOR PROGRAMS & WORKSHOPS FOR CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE

I teach a variety of writing workshops and author presentations for youngsters and adults.

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: I adapt my programs to the age group and requests of the teachers. These range from reading and discussing my stories, illustrating stories, conducting writing workshops, and helping teachers develop lessons.

I also share the research and writing process of my works in progress:

Papa Goes To War, inspired by my ancestors during the Civil War

Uncle "Buffalo Bill" Mathewson - a picture book about my great great Uncle William Mathewson who operated trading posts on the Santa Fe Trail

Danger In The Mountains - a mystery set in the West

Sarah Jane's Daring Deed, a picture book about a pioneer girl.

(These often tie in with Social Studies classes)

Journalism and/or Writing on the Internet draw upon my experience as a professional journalist/newspaper columnist and blogger for a network

Poetry workshops also are popular.

AUDIENCE LEVELS - Pre-K, Elementary, Middle School. High School and Adult Education

TRAVEL - Yes - anywhere in the United States, with client paying travel costs and accommodations, unless I'm in that area for other business.

PUBLISHED WORKS:

Tales of Adventure & Discovery, a children's anthology which I also illustrated (An accompanying coloring book is also available.)

The Magic of Patchwork, a book about quiltmaking and its history with projects for young people and beginners

When We Become the Parent to Our Parents, the story of my mother's journey through Alzheimer'

More than 200 stories in children's magazines

Writing in Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont, a resource book for writers (out of print)

FEES: $100/1 HR; $200/1/2 day; $300/day, plus mileage beyond 50 miles from Plymouth, NH and accommodations if an overnight stay is involved

CONTACT INFORMATION: me.allen@juno.com

No comments: